The kitchen and basement are two areas in your home that can really drive up its resale value. Unfortunately, remodeling a kitchen or the basement can be quite expensive. However, there are ways to reduce costs significantly without sacrificing the look and feel of a quality room. If you’re searching for a basement remodeling idea, or how to remodel your kitchen without taking a big chunk out of your savings, here are some great tips that will help you.
Kitchens can be as cheap or as expensive as you want them to. With the following tips, you can create an expensive looking kitchen without breaking your budget.
1. Instead of replacing cabinets, you can remodel the doors and repaint the basic frames. You can also find door handles that look expensive but are actually quite cheap. For top cabinets, consider open shelves than a full cabinet. Open shelves can look stylish and can actually improve the overall design of the kitchen.
2. Many kitchen remodeling projects are necessitated by old appliances. If you want to replace the kitchen appliances, consider energy saving appliances. These are common and can really save quite a lot on your power bills. In addition, the new designs will fit in well with any type of kitchen.
3. If you’re tired of your counter top and want a stone finish, a cheap alternative is stained concrete or laminated wood. Both of these have finishes that can match those of stone counter tops.
4. If you’re planning a kitchen remodeling project, consider replacing your floors. Cork tiles for your kitchen flooring can definitely increase the value of your kitchen, not to mention a soft surface to walk on. The prices of cork tiles have gone down significantly over the years.
5. You also might want to look at molded ceiling designs. These can add to the beauty of the kitchen, but make sure that the design will complement the overall theme.
Basements that have been converted to special rooms, like a home theater or recreational area definitely increase the value of the home. Here are some basement remodeling ideas that can help you create a perfect room without getting you broke.
1. A great basement remodeling idea is to do the job yourself. You’ll be able to save a lot on labor, which is the most expensive part of the whole project. If you’re not a DIY type of person, try to find a contractor who can perform the work at a relatively lower price.
2. Another excellent best basement remodeling idea is to use alternative materials. You’ll find plenty of them in the market and these can be a lot cheaper than traditional materials. For instance, instead of installing hard wood floors, consider cork tiles as a replacement. These are cheaper than wood and can really spice up your basement, thus reducing your remodeling costs without sacrificing quality. There are plenty of other alternative materials, just take the time to search or ask for guidance from the experts.